Monday, September 24, 2007

i get it

Sera: Don't you like me, Ben?
Ben Sanderson: Sera... what you don't understand is - no, see, no. You can never, never ask me to stop drinking. Do you understand?
Sera: I do. I really do.

a severe exchange in an intense scene from the powerful and dark Leaving Las Vegas film starring Nick Cage and Elizabeth Shue. Came out in 1995 and Cage won the Oscar for it. I liked this movie when I first saw it and think of it often. If you are someone that has seen it you either understand why and can relate or you may choose to think I am a little bit off. If you have not seen the movie I highly suggest doing so for many reasons. This scene especially - Sera needs him to love her, to be with her so badly, to be a part of something so desparate that she is willing to accept that he is LITERALLY drinking himself to death. It is the turning point of the movie. Your heart breaks, at least mine did, with recognition because you know that in the end she will not be able to truly be ok with him drinking himself to the grave. How could one be if you absolutely love them? The ideas of saying it and really living such a concept rarely do those two cover each other in agreement. Then how far does she go? Well, to the end - the tragic yet plausible option. Even though she cannot ever really accept his dying she does stay, commits to the journey with this person. I will not give you the specifics of the end since you may want to watch it some day. How far does one go for the hope of love, a relationship and to have what one knows is there or saw at one time? I do not know. Do you give up or struggle on for a certian amount of time till that end where it does work out or it dies? How much time is acceptable to do so and how much time is pathetic? Again, I do not know. For Elizabeth's character it was till the wall was hit and the end was a literal end, no more. This film is tragic from that perspective yet hopeful from another. Even when you are in a place where you feel or know you don't want to be you still want love, need that relationship and know in your heart it is there, exists. Even the most disastrous or messed up character can and deserves that if only for a short amount of time. Perhaps the answer is that there is no actual answer. You just do,act. She kept going until there was no more to go.

No comments:

Quote of the week....I had to

"I saw them. There were four of them and I thought there are four of us, that is if we find the lady. Oh, Hello Lady!" - Fezzik, aka Andre The Giant, Princess Bride

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!
I am back at ESO to do some comedy; all me, all alone, well there will be beer and wine! October 18th, 7:30pm...stay tuned!

for now!

Till this chica gets settled in the blog name stays the same...deal with it! still posting but now OFF SHORE! I am working on my website so look for that soon...