Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"are you married?" Why is that one of the first two questions always asked when you first meet someone? That and "What do you do?" To that one I always respond, "About what?" "What do I do for a living?, for fun?, for my spirit?, I need more specifics!" Ah! Ah! I don't seem to have an answer to the one about marriage. I stutter, I stammer...I make a joke, usually. Last night I was out at a bar and I met a couple. The man's first words to me, after Hi, were, "are you married?" I am not. I am ok with that. Or at least I thought I was. Maybe I am not? I do want to be married but it just has not happened yet...I have a good life, I do. I am missing something. I am missing that part of my life. That piece of the pie...that piece about 6 inchs long, or 7? Ha! See how the telling of the joke works? No, really, I am tired of being asked this question over and over again as an opening to a relationship. But now I think I am more tired of my reaction to the question. Why am I so irritated by words, a simple, unassuming question? Why do I want to yell at the top of my lungs at the messenger of these words and kick them in the neck? I am now starting to think this is my quest. Not to get married, because let's face it folks, that part is the easy part...but the quest is why if I am happy and why if I do know I will find that relationship, that partnership some day and I do think this...why does it bother me to be asked this? To be thrown up against this measurement as if being judged? I am judging myself. I am on the quest people. Putting my panama jack hat on, lacing up my hiking boots, sporting my khaki shorts and heading out. Stay tuned cause it is gonna be a bumpy, exhilirating, eventful, fun, challenging, sad, hopeful, brilliant and a whole bunch of other adjectives ride. The goal? To determine why this makes me want to scream. Once I know that I believe that I can move forward and get that piece of pie. I'm just saying...

No comments:

Quote of the week....I had to

"I saw them. There were four of them and I thought there are four of us, that is if we find the lady. Oh, Hello Lady!" - Fezzik, aka Andre The Giant, Princess Bride

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!
I am back at ESO to do some comedy; all me, all alone, well there will be beer and wine! October 18th, 7:30pm...stay tuned!

for now!

Till this chica gets settled in the blog name stays the same...deal with it! still posting but now OFF SHORE! I am working on my website so look for that soon...