Wednesday, July 09, 2008

a quick update to my day...

This is where i live people...ah man, just when i said, "ok this eve I am NOT going to have a few beers while writing..." I saw this article off of our intranet.
Now? Well I don't want to get depressed, voluntarily!

I like the mice vow to voluntarily drink for 28 days. You had me at, "establishes a casual link..." I mean who doesn't enjoy a casual link every once in a while...or every other 28 days. A thought...isn't 28 days the standard or average length of time for rehab? Ok, now I gots it. I am riding all the wheels now. All you people just off of rehab and want to drink? Maybe you are onto something.

But wait! Then just at the end, so as not to encourage drinking, they wrap it up in a nice little bow, "The study also found that treatment with an antidepressant drug during abstinence prevents the development of depression, a statement says."
Who this hell is this statement dude?

Oh well, all ok, all good again. And just think only a tree was wasted in this story! (tee hee)

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 2:56 PM EDT
UNC study links alcohol abstinence with depression
Triangle Business Journal

Cutting back on drinking could possibly lead to feelings of depression, according to findings from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

UNC researchers at the Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies announced the results of their study Tuesday. The findings appear online in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

Senior study author Clyde Hodge, a psychiatry professor at UNC, says the research "establishes a causal link between abstinence from alcohol drinking and depression." In the study, mice that voluntarily drank alcohol for 28 days exhibited depression-like behavior 14 days after they stopped drinking.

"This research provides the first evidence that long-term abstinence from moderate alcohol drinking - rather than drinking per se - leads to a negative mood state, depression," Hodge wrote in a statement.

UNC researchers postulate that the abstinence from alcohol after drinking somehow impairs the brain's ability to create new nerve cells. Recent studies show that the development of the nerve cells could regulate people's mood; thus, UNC says, impaired creation could lead to feelings of depression.

The study also found that treatment with an antidepressant drug during abstinence prevents the development of depression, a statement says. The authors of the study say their work could help lead to better treatment options for people who quit drinking.

UNC's research was supported by the National Institutes of Health.

1 comment:

Siel said...

Fascinating! The real Q is, however, when these sad mice stopped feeling depressed -- b/c one would think sometime after the 14 days they started feeling happier? B/c if not why would anyone stop drinking....

Quote of the week....I had to

"I saw them. There were four of them and I thought there are four of us, that is if we find the lady. Oh, Hello Lady!" - Fezzik, aka Andre The Giant, Princess Bride

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!
I am back at ESO to do some comedy; all me, all alone, well there will be beer and wine! October 18th, 7:30pm...stay tuned!

for now!

Till this chica gets settled in the blog name stays the same...deal with it! still posting but now OFF SHORE! I am working on my website so look for that soon...