Wednesday, June 25, 2008

no title today, only words

Quote of the day for Wednesday, June 25th
“The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” - George Carlin

This morning as I got my coffee and bottled water (i buy yet still cannot believe that i pay for water - not angry at the end result that i buy "tap" water in a bottle, more miffed that i did not think of it FIRST...or did something about it first!) I noticed a family eating breakfast in the dining area. I work in a hospital. Before I even saw what they were eating I made an assumption, a judgement I guess you could say, think. From their appearance, stature, I knew they were eating large amounts of eggs, bacon (or some other meat product, maybe multiple other meat products), biscuits, gravy, more than likely drinking a diet soda of some type. As my eyes moved from the family to the food in front of them I was taken aback. it was worse than I suspected. the parents were indeed eating large amounts of the above mentioned items but the kids? one was eating sugar coated, artificial colored gummy worms and the other kid was eating chocolate covered pretzels, both had their hands on a soda product. what the fuck? and we are in a hospital. I know we have a fat problem in this country, we are obese, we don't eat right as a general population, we don't exercise regularly (shit, I walk to the bus every morning, 5 minutes, and that is my exercise - weak!), and all of that crap, but I just could not believe what I saw. I really don't have any commentary on what I saw, but that for I am writing this I suppose is just that, a comment. I am not the best eater that is for sure and to be honest I have been blessed with good metabolism, I am yes what you would call average. I am not my ideal weight yet I am nowhere near overweight, this is true. So I do feel lucky, I guess blessed that I can eat poorly at times and not exercise and still stay relatively thin, well not thin, I am not comfortable saying that word when talking about myself, but I am not fat. That works. I am not fat. I just was so taken aback on what they were eating to start the day off. That the parents were letting it happen. They purchased it for them even. This incidence is not a big deal in the realm of all the world and its problems yes this I know. Yet I cannot help but feel maybe it is indeed a big deal, bigger, more reaching in the result of this small happening in an average day here at the hospital. I paid for my coffee, my bottled water, walked down the stairs to the lobby, sat down, finished my current book, cried at the ending (yes it was good!) and then proceeded off to my office. Another day. Another observation.

No comments:

Quote of the week....I had to

"I saw them. There were four of them and I thought there are four of us, that is if we find the lady. Oh, Hello Lady!" - Fezzik, aka Andre The Giant, Princess Bride

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!
I am back at ESO to do some comedy; all me, all alone, well there will be beer and wine! October 18th, 7:30pm...stay tuned!

for now!

Till this chica gets settled in the blog name stays the same...deal with it! still posting but now OFF SHORE! I am working on my website so look for that soon...