Thursday, August 30, 2007

A real fantasy


So I went to a Fantasy Football League draft last night - thank goodness at a bar. It was entertaining. Either that or I had more than 4 beers and just do not recall, lost count (which I often do and think is totally and clearly healthy to do so). It took about 3 hours. There were about 20 people there taking part in the event. 50 bucks, a pen, an ass (literally not figuratively - there is a lot of sitting) and the ability to talk smack with a grin on your face is all that is required to be in the league. No athletic ability, no physical attributes but the power to drink beer and breath all at once - the really good ones make it look as if they are breathin out of their mouth while ingesting the cold brew and not the nose. Hence why I deduce the word, "fantasy" is placed before the word Football. What I loved about this event was not that it was happening in this one bar in this little quaint town on the east coast but that more than likely this same event was happening all over the great U S of A on this same night, had taken place the night before or was to occur in the near future! Brilliant. Well maybe not in NYC...or if so martinis are being consumed instead of budlight. As the night wrapped up and they were down to the players affectionately referred to as, "the who gives a shit about" players, it dawned on me what was really happening. A bunch of men, two women ok three including me, were meeting at a bar, joking, laughing, partaking in libations and generally having a good time that was relatively inexpensive, loosely organized and just basic. In these times of a flailing stock market, war still raging in more than one, two, three countries, mad crazy old ladies leaving 12 million to a dog, our best represenation of youth being Miss Teen USA, mortgages made of smoke and senators that state clothes and not themselves are in their closet, I just find it nice, comforting even that through all of that swirlin around us people can still have, believe in and pursue a fantasy. Hooray!

No comments:

Quote of the week....I had to

"I saw them. There were four of them and I thought there are four of us, that is if we find the lady. Oh, Hello Lady!" - Fezzik, aka Andre The Giant, Princess Bride

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!
I am back at ESO to do some comedy; all me, all alone, well there will be beer and wine! October 18th, 7:30pm...stay tuned!

for now!

Till this chica gets settled in the blog name stays the same...deal with it! still posting but now OFF SHORE! I am working on my website so look for that soon...