Thursday, August 16, 2007

Virginia has it going on



I am approaching my first year living in the state of Virginia. Even though I have yet to get my state driver's license I still think that when asked, "where are you from?", I can safely say, "Virginia" Mostly due to the fact that I am not really sure where I am from and it seems to be the best answer...for now. I am a Virginian. It is the state in which I reside TODAY both in the physical and mental state - that will suffice since really do we know what will or could happen tomorrow? People tell me all the time when I am down or not feeling too super duper about things I should, "live today as if it is your last day on earth, as if you might die tomorrow!" Ok but I don't know if I am going to die tomorrow or keep on going, really. If I live today as if I will not be here tomorrow then I won't have any money to pay my bills when visa calls me on Monday...for I have a feeling those people will always be here.

"live passionately" is the new slogan for the state of Virginia. Not replacing the very popular "Virginia is for Lovers" slogan so no one run screaming from the room for fear of your life being turned upside down! The two statements are meant to go hand in hand. We are lovers and therefore we live passionately. Makes sense. And look the girl is making a sweet little heart with her hands while she one footedly (let it go) makes wine. She looks happy, surely she has loved and we all know that if you are willing to stomp grapes into wine one must be passionate.

I moved here from New York City. Each time I tell someone that fact I get one of two responses - every time! - "Oh, my well this is surely different yes?" or "well you are not going to meet a man here I can tell you that right now!" To the first I simply reply, "Exactly. That is the reason I moved here" and to the second I utter in robot style due to repitition, "well that is ok because believe or not I did not move here to meet one." Now don't get me wrong I have met quite a few men; young, old, cute, not so cute, friendly, funny, odd, boring and all very nice. It does seem interesting that for a state that is claiming it is still for lovers as well as now lives passionately that most people think it is not a place to meet men. Maybe it is as the picture of the girl suggests instead - it is a place to stomp grapes with one foot, make a heart with your hands, smile goofy like and pray for someone to come by and take a picture of you. Nothing more, nothing less. Simple. And it could be as I have come to understand it so far in my almost year here; it is a place to be passionate about investing in and loving oneself. Virginia IS for Lovers and we DO live passionately. That is the critieria for determining where you are from. You live by the slogan of the state. I don't need no stinkin' driver's license. I am a Virginian indeed.

No comments:

Quote of the week....I had to

"I saw them. There were four of them and I thought there are four of us, that is if we find the lady. Oh, Hello Lady!" - Fezzik, aka Andre The Giant, Princess Bride

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!
I am back at ESO to do some comedy; all me, all alone, well there will be beer and wine! October 18th, 7:30pm...stay tuned!

for now!

Till this chica gets settled in the blog name stays the same...deal with it! still posting but now OFF SHORE! I am working on my website so look for that soon...