Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I love this guy.

I've been reading about The Lone Ranger as of late and find each time I read something else or new about the character, the history of the show, etc. I feel more and more connected to someone. He sticks for me. In my world that rarely happens. And I've been at it for a while now. It is not all bad, actually it is fine. That is who I get to be. I am realizing that and beginning to accept that destiny and it feels good, real, solid. That is my misson, my role. I find in the last few weeks I have an extra pep in my step, more smiles on my face, and a happiness, hopefullness streaming throughout my body on a regular basis. It just could be I have found a soulmate afterall. Not closing the door on it though, yet. Or maybe it is that you can have more than one SM and here is one such SM. I am leanin that way for sure. Anyway, take a peek, a gander, a read on the history of The Lone Ranger character - maybe you too will find a connection. Peace.

The Lone Ranger originated on WXYZ radio in Detroit in 1933. Created by George W. Trendle and written by Fran Striker, the show became so popular it was one of the reasons why several stations linked together to share programming on what became the Mutual Broadcasting System. Aimed primarily at the children's audience, The Lone Ranger made a successful transition to ABC televi-sion in 1949. Several characteristics were unique and central to the premise of this western, and the initial episode which explained the legend was occasionally repeated so young viewers would under-stand how the hero gained his name and why he wore a mask. The Lone Ranger was one of six Texas Rangers who were ambushed while chasing a gang of outlaws led by Butch Cavendish. After the battle, one "lone ranger" survived, and was discovered by Tonto, a Native American who recognized the survi-vor as John Reid, the man who had saved his life earlier. Tonto thereafter referred to the ranger as "kemo sabe," which is trans-lated as "trusty scout." After Tonto helped him regain his strength, the ranger vowed to hide his identity from Cavendish and to dedicate his life to "making the West a decent place to live." He and Tonto dug an extra grave to fool Cavendish into believing all six rangers had died, and the ranger donned a mask to protect his identity as the single surviving ranger. Only Tonto knows who he is ... the Lone Ranger. After he and Tonto saved a silver-white stallion from being gored by a buffalo, they nursed the horse back to health and set him free. The horse followed them and the Lone Ranger decided to adopt him and give him the name Silver. Shortly thereafter, the Lone Ranger and Tonto encountered a man who, it turns out, has been set up to take the blame for murders committed by Cavendish. They estab-lished him as caretaker in an abandoned silver mine, where he produced silver bullets for the Lone Ranger. Ev-en after the Cavendish gang was captured, the Lone Ranger decided to keep his identity a secret. Near the end of this and many future episodes, someone asks about the identity of the masked man. The typical response: "I don't rightly know his real name, but I've heard him called... the Lone Ranger."
The Lone Ranger exemplified upstanding character and righ-teous purpose. He engaged in plenty of action, but his silver bullets were symbols of "justice by law," and were never used to kill. For the children's audience, he represented clean living and noble effort in the cause of fighting crime. His values and style, including his polished manners and speech, were intended to provide a positive role model. The show's stan-dard musical theme was Rossini's "William Tell Overture," accompa-nied by the Lone Ranger voicing a hearty "Hi-Ho, Silver, away" as he rode off in a cloud of dust. Clayton Moore is most closely associated with the TV role, but John Hart played the Lone Ranger for two seasons. The part of Tonto was played by Jay Silverheel-s. After the original run of the program from 1949 to 1957, it was regu-larly shown in reruns until 1961, and later in animat-ed form. The Lone Ranger has also been the subject of comic books and movies. Both the original and animated versions of the program have been syndicated. Perhaps no fictional action hero has become as established in our culture through as many media forms as the Lone Ranger. Clayton Moore made personal appearanc-es in costume as the Lone Ranger for many years, until a corpora-tion which had made a feature length film with another actor in the role obtained a court injunction to halt his wearing the mask in public. Moore continued his appearances wearing oversized sun glasses. He later regained the right to appear as the Lone Ranger, mask and all. [written by B.R. Smith - got to give the cred where the cred is due!]

No comments:

Quote of the week....I had to

"I saw them. There were four of them and I thought there are four of us, that is if we find the lady. Oh, Hello Lady!" - Fezzik, aka Andre The Giant, Princess Bride

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!

Yes it's hot NOW, but in the fall it will be cool and you will need me more than ever!
I am back at ESO to do some comedy; all me, all alone, well there will be beer and wine! October 18th, 7:30pm...stay tuned!

for now!

Till this chica gets settled in the blog name stays the same...deal with it! still posting but now OFF SHORE! I am working on my website so look for that soon...